One of the coolest things about homemade products is that you are absolutely sure of everything that goes into it to make it perfect for you and your family or friends. If you are a hard worker with tough, dried out hands from long hours of work, then you’d quickly find that the mass-produced moisturising hand creams may not provide as much relief as you would like. Even by spending plenty of time doing the dishes, keeping the house clean and gardening, you can cause your hands to be dried and hard. However, by combining natural, non-toxic, hypoallergenic ingredients, you can make a moisturising hand cream by yourself. A major benefit of making your own moisturising hand cream is that you can infuse essential oils that will revitalize your hands and make smooth and gentle once again.
Why do you need a moisturising hand cream?
Our hands are busy most times of the day and help us with hundreds of things every day from lifting to touching to dragging. No matter what you use your hands for, you practically expose it to the elements constantly, especially if you are not wearing gloves at work. Even at home, when you consider all the soap and detergents and washing agents that you use to clean the house regularly, it is easy to see where all the skin dryness comes from. This dryness can cause inflammation of the skin, some bleeding, blistered fingers and dark knuckles.
Some of the benefits that you get from a moisturising hand cream include:
- Restoring the skin’s lipid levels which helps to encourage vitality
- Rehydrating dry, callused hands to improve their texture and feeling
- Improving skin health and comfort
What are some ingredients you need to make your own moisturising hand cream?
Homemade moisturising hand cream is most effective when the ingredients are natural, environmentally friendly and sustainably sourced. N-essentials is your one-stop shop for everything you need to make a quality, effective moisturising hand cream for your friends and family. Making hand cream is easy and an informed choice of quality ingredients will result in a cream that is not greasy and works fast on your skin through easy absorption. Here are some of the ingredients you need.
- Beeswax: Known to be a naturally occurring humectant, beeswax can draw water from the air unto your skin to keep you moisturised for long. It also reduces the amount of grease in your hand cream. If you want your hand cream to look creamy instead of whitish, a nice tip is to use yellow golden wax.
- Carrier oils: Sweet almond oil is an excellent choice of oil to mix into your moisturising hand cream recipe. It is an effective moisturizer that also provides your hands with vitamins that soothe the skin.
- Essential oils: A popular essential oil to consider is lavender because it has anti-inflammatory properties that will nurture your skin. [KL1] There is a wide selection here to choose from, each with its own benefits and you can mix in your favorites too!
- Shea butter: Here is another powerful skin moisturizer that will help keep your skin feeling fresh. If you like your hand cream less greasy, replace half of the shea butter with coconut oil or cocoa butter.
- Optiphen Plus: Most homemade hand creams use water so you may want to add a preservative to prevent mould and bacteria growth. Optiphen Plus is a broad-spectrum preservative that is paraben-free and is gentle for a safe, effective hand cream.
How to make your homemade moisturising hand cream
For a nice healing hand cream for your dry hands, here’s what you need:
- ¼ cup of shea butter
- 1/8 cup of sweet almond oil or coconut oil RBD or extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 10-15 drops of essential oils (you can have two of your favourites)
Put the shea butter, beeswax and coconut or sweet almond oil all into a double boiler. You can also use a Pyrex measuring cup and put it all into a pot of low heat water. Make sure that it is not boiling so that you don’t destroy any of the ingredients. You can do a water bath with a pot filled to 1/3 capacity with water and simmered gently. Put the bowl containing the mixture inside and let everything melt.
Remove it from the heat source and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
Once the temperature has reduced, you can then add in your essential oils and stir them in gently. Keep whipping the mixture until it begins to harden. Transfer to a glass container or a shallow jar and allow for some hours for it to cool and thicken into a cream
You can add some of your favorite scents into the mix for a nice smell. Excellent choices are myrrh, lavender, cedarwood and jojoba oil which all have different benefits for your skin. Also bear in mind any allergies you may have when choosing oils for your moisturising hand cream.
There you go! You can apply some on your hands and rub into both hands in continuous circular motions to get the cream on all the corners of your hands and knuckles. Rub in till the cream disappears completely.
How long does homemade hand cream usually last?
You can keep your hand cream on a shelf for as long as three months. If you added the Optiphen Plus, the shelf life increases significantly. Store away from direct sunlight, heat sources or areas of high moisture for best quality.
For the best, high-quality selection of essential oils in Australia, shop online at N-essentials today. You can buy all the ingredients you need for your hand creams, aromatherapy and so much more at the best prices whether in retail or wholesale quantity. Call us today or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a free quote for bulk-buy packs that are not listed on our online store.