Many of us would go out without taking measures on how to take care of our skin. Environmental factors such as pollution and other toxic chemicals are believed to damage the skin. This is where antioxidants come in which they help fight skin damage, recover from environmental stress, and provide countless benefits in any way possible particularly in keeping the skin to appear healthy and well-nourished.
Antioxidants are naturally awesome. They are like goddesses’ beauty secrets that help sustain their youthful appearance.
Antioxidants were not that common in the past. However, when a series of discoveries began to unravel, antioxidants were found out to have extremely potent benefits that are continuously being incorporated into many beauty products under different purposes.
One of the most powerful antioxidants that we love is vitamin C.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that contains revitalising elements needed to maintain the positive appearance of your skin. It provides a wide array of benefits to the skin from merely hydrating it to improving the visibility of its aging process.
5 powerful benefits of vitamin C to the skin
- Moisturises the skin. Vitamin C works as a great moisturiser that instantly boosts the moisture level of your skin.
- Brightens, evens, and smooths the skin. The elements found in vitamin C help to brighten the skin complexion by reducing the visibility of dark spots and acne marks. It is also believed to promote glowing and smoother-looking skin.
- Removes skin impurities. Vitamin C also helps to reduce skin discolouration and facial redness.
- Improves the aging process. Apart from moisturising and smoothening the texture of the skin, it also helps to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles that are caused by unstable temperature and commercialised beauty products.
- Tightens the skin. Vitamin C boosts the skin’s elasticity and firmness. As a result, your skin is now fresh and younger-looking.
When should I apply vitamin C to the skin?
Vitamin C can be applied in the morning before spending time in the sun or before bedtime to make sure it gets absorbed well. Regardless of the schedule of application, the use of vitamin C for the skin should be maintained for optimal results.
How to properly store vitamin C?
Vitamin C becomes less effective when exposed to light and air. To maintain its quality, store in opaque containers.
Check out this DIY Face Serum with vitamin C!
- 2 tsp of vitamin C powder
- 6 tsp of roman chamomile floral water
- 2 tbsp of organic aloe vera gel
- ½ tsp of vitamin E oil 1 medium-sized dark bottle
- Thoroughly mix vitamin C powder and roman chamomile floral water in a small vessel for 2-3 minutes. Continue stirring it until the vitamin C powder is completely dissolved. Then, add in the organic aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil. Pour it into a medium-sized dark bottle.
Be sure to make small batches at a time as vitamin C has a short life span and can become unstable when its pH level starts to become volatile after which it is no longer useful for the skin. Although vitamin C is extremely beneficial to the skin, a skin patch test should be administered first before using it. Discontinue use if irritation occurs.